03A

Engineering Stories
These short stories are things I shared with my co-workers.

 BIG HEAVY AND MEAN 
Trucks and Choo-choo trains are like this. So are some SUVs and jacked up pickup trucks
 

DON'T LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER 
I really got into a dispute with a AAA driving instructor about this foolishness.

HEAD FIRST IS BEST 
Now we take anti lock braking systems for granted. But in the beginning I explained that you don't stop quicker - you stop better. I tell you why. 

MILWAUKEE U-TURN 
As a kid growing up in wintry Milwaukee, I learned that this is a safer way to make a U-turn or even a left turn. 
This is another dispute with the hard headed AAA driving instructor. 

Why ARE the odd numbered lanes better? 

RE-SEARCH 
I really felt it important to tell this practical lesson to young engineers. It sort of ties in with Failure IS and Option.

RTOR 
Do you understand why that means RIGHT TURN AFTER RED 
(AFTER A FULL STOP)? 

The fundamental lesson for all designers of cars who hope to have good handling.

More like this in PART 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment